Eden's Garden Grace



Friday, July 27, 2012

In the Middle...


The last several days, many of us have been caught up in a brewing controversy about Chick-fil-a and the recent comments made by their president, Dan Cathy regarding the company's stand on same-sex marriage, saying that CFA backs the traditional family unit.  This sparked great controversy from many that support and embrace LBGT groups, friends and just the belief that all are created equal.  I was right on that bandwagon and have been a staunch supporter of LBGT for decades.  I have posted several comments on Facebook and have read those posted by others.  There are definitely two sides to the situation, and then probably one right in the middle.  


The middle...that's where I often end up.  It can be both a blessing and a curse, that 'seeing both sides thing'.


I admit I jumped on the bandwagon too, but over the week as I have read others' responses and read articles on the subject, I've really been thinking on it.  Then today, the picture above was posted by a Mom friend from OHS.  It really put the whole thing in perspective for me.  It makes me realize that if we are going to take a stand on one thing, there are so many more companies and practices in which we all engage that maybe we don't see eye to eye with, or worse yet, we just don't KNOW what they are doing.  


From my observations this week and the knowledge I've gathered, CFA does a whole lot of GOOD.  Although they don't support gay marriage, they don't seem to openly discriminate or defame anyone either.  Their stand should not really be a surprise for that matter.  


They give back to the community in many ways from fundraising for schools to running a nonprofit organization called WinShape which is dedicated to 'shaping winners', helping to find loving homes for foster children in need.  This was brought to my attention by one of my Facebook friends who made a good point, stating our country seems to 'major in the minors', worrying about the smaller points when there really are so much bigger fish to fry.  Her post and the picture above made me realize that we really do need to widen the lens on our view finder if we are going to start boycotting businesses.  If we are going to severe our relationship with Chick-fil-a, who else do we need to add?


I've also been thinking that to turn our backs on CFA and walk away does not really show us 'turning the other cheek'.  Is walking away really showing the company or their employees that need their jobs anything?  I'm pretty sure Jesus would still be eating chicken sandwiches. I posted yesterday that I felt the difference between not supporting CFA but still being friends with people who didn't necessarily stand with our beliefs was different in the fact that because CFA is a business, we can CHOOSE where we decide to spend our money and lend our support.  I do still believe that, but I've had time to realize that doing that just might not be the best choice.  


All this said, I'm still not totally sure how I feel about this.  I know where I stand personally and I'll be the first in line to stand up for GLBT rights or rights for all, for that matter.  Nothing makes me madder than to be in a group of people and to hear someone throwing out a derogatory remark about a minority or talking about others as if they are 'less-than'.  In fact, this just happened to me last night and I continue to be amazed by the narrow-mindedness of others.  If I walk away and insulate myself in a group where everyone believes just as I, will anything really change?  Will any of us learn to respect each other and our differences?  Will walking away teach anyone tolerance or love?  I don't know, but it's certainly made me think  My stand on equality is firm and unshakable.  I just think that this CFA thing is so not either/or. 


Will I be driving through the local CFA drive-thru??  On that, the jury is still out.  

1 comment:

  1. Sorry guys...Don't know why the obnoxious hilite is on.

    ReplyDelete