Eden's Garden Grace



Friday, September 18, 2009

Perception

The other day, I recieved an email from my sister-in-law. The subject line read 'perception'. It directed me to this link: http://www.ageofautism.com/2009/07/autism-perception-a-bump-in-the-road.html.

Her only note included in the email said, "this article, most likely, will enlighten you. this amazing mother writes what I haven't been able to say...but, often wish I could"

It's a bit overwhelming, long, and at times feels bitter and negative to me. That said, I ask you to please take the time to read it through and you will be able to begin to empathize and understand how dealing with so many things outside of 'normal' can be so overwhelming, bringing a mother, (insert any family or loved one here) to this place.

Although I like to look at things from the 'glass-full' side of life; in reading this, I understand how sometimes that might prove a difficult task for these families. I don't know that I agree with everything that is mentioned in this blog post, but it definitely has information and a perspective that we all need to at least have an awareness of.

My nephew, Bert, is a beautiful boy that we love very much. I have seen the effects of autism in him and in our family for over 10 years and I still don't begin to understand. It is difficult on so many levels, but Bert is also funny, sweet, caring and full of life in many ways...he is just not like us--that doesn't make him 'different', but that is how society sees these children.

I can only imagine that those without exposure or knowledge of this disease are uneducated, confused and at times, frightened by the disease and therefore these children. Ignorance often breeds fear. It is a natural response to the unknown. Unfortunately, even if you don't know anyone on the autism spectrum now, there is a good chance that you will. Sadly, there is now a 1 in 150 chance that a child will have some form of autism. Please read and educate yourself; try to get involved and at least have some understanding and compassion for families that deal with this each and every day. Changes need to come through research and insurance, teaching and so many other areas to make the progress needed with this disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment